Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Must Have: Backstory (Part 1)

Once upon a time, in a land far, far away, there lived an Engineer...

Okay, so it doesn't sound that nice. "Engineer" isn't really a romantic title at all. But hey, it's my title and actually, the story is pretty romantic.

One day, in September 2008, I got a super opportunity handed to me at work. My manager came into my office and asked if I was interested in going to Germany on assignment for 6 months. I said yes! No thought required. My manager was surprised by my response and made it clear that I had time to consider, details were still being worked out. I was completely sure. "Just let me know when to pack my bag." 

You see, I was bored. I guess I should not say that out loud, but the project I had been spending all my time on at work had recently been defunded. My team was being reassigned and we were bummed out. But I wasn't only bored at work. I was also in a relationship that wasn't going anywhere. He was a great guy, but our paths were not going the same direction, the same as several of my previous relationships. It was really time for a change.

After many long months of (feigned) patience, I was on my way to Greifswald, Germany. Where exactly is that? It's a small town (~60,000 inhabitants) in Northwestern Germany near the Baltic Sea. A perfect, out-of-the-way haven for folks like me looking for a way to decompress. It was lovely and right on time. 

A late afternoon view of the Greifswald Dom and Rathaus from the Marktplatz

I was newly single and on an adventure. I had six months to clear my palate, center myself, and find a new direction. I got to work. 

Have you ever gotten an opportunity for a fresh start?

No comments:

Post a Comment