Sunday, May 13, 2012

Must Have a Visa to Enter

In this post I talked about how Mr. Fox and I made our decision to share a timezone, country, and residence. It was really difficult to decide who would jump the pond and leave their life behind because both of us had very promising careers at the time. But of course security came first, and Mr. Fox definitely had more security in his position than I did. My job was in the research field and was dependent on government funding... all of which is lessening as time goes by. The US government tends not to be very speculative when it comes to scientific research that does not produce hard-and-fast results... quickly. Unfortunately, fusion energy research does not meet that "quickly" requirement. No, my job was not in jeopardy per se, but if I had intended to stay my career path would have been severely limited as the more funding was cut.

But I didn't come here to offer an editorial about government funding... I came to talk about my visa nightmare. Which, of course, has a happy ending.

So after deciding that I was going to be the pond jumper and getting engaged, us Foxes did some pretty intensive research on how exactly to do this the legal way. You see, it wasn't going to be as easy as packing up, getting on a plane, and voila! If I intended to stay in Europe for more than 90 days, I needed a visa.

Our research led us to the long stay visitors' visa. It meant that I could hang out in France for up to one year. According to us, this should have been more than enough time to plan our wedding, get married, and get all settled in together. But thanks to recent reforms put into place by then president Sarkozy, I would have to clear some pretty intense hurdles before enjoying wedded bliss.

First, there were the extraordinary paperwork requirements found on the French Consulate of New York's website. Of course, it was required to present the originals plus one set of copies, all translated into French:

1. application (in French) plus passport photograph
2. valid passport (and copy of identity page, no translation necessary)
3. OFII form (in French)
4. documents proving you actually live in the US (i.e. paystubs for the last 3 months)
5. proof that you can afford to stay in France (i.e. bank statement or proof of income)
6. proof of lodging in France (because tents and park benches are not acceptable living quarters)
7. proof of medical insurance (with specific wording meaning that you are actually covered up to certain amounts while in France)
8. a letter of motivation (why are you going to come and be a loafer in our country for up to one year?)
9. a written attestation that you will not seek or accept paid employment while loafing in France

Heavy.

Most of the requirements were not terribly difficult. I had my own personal translator in Mr. Fox for the forms that were in French and was able to find a professional (read: accredited and certified) translator through the Consulate website (here). We had a few hiccups with the proof of lodging since I would be officially staying with Papa and Maman Fox and I would not be able to provide a lease agreement. The answer to that was to get an attestation from Papa Fox that I would be welcomed into their home and then provide proof that they owned the home. That was the other hiccup. They had their house built many, many years ago and did not have a property deed or anything like that (things were simpler back then... and actually continue to stay simpler than the US). Tax forms did not cut it, so the Elders Fox had to consult their notaire (kind of a lawyer, more of a solicitor (definitions 2 and 3)) in order to get a legal document made up stating that they actually owned their home. Not terribly difficult, just something unforeseen that had to be done.

Additionally, since I would be leaving my job, I would no longer have health insurance. Mr. Fox to the rescue again! He had previously used a travel insurance company called April International to insure his many voyages across the Atlantic and they also provided the exact coverage someone like me would need.

Armed with all my completed documents, translations, and copies painstakingly organized with paper clips and post-it notes, I nervously went to my appointment at the French Consulate of New York's Visa Office... juste a côté de Central Park. (Those fancy, fancy French!)


No comments:

Post a Comment