Monday, March 5, 2012

Long Distance Relationship Must Haves

Most people will tell you that long distance relationships do not work. And they're right. They tend not to. However, I have learned that the LDR can completely work if, and only if both you and your partner are willing to make it work.

Over the year and a half that Mr. Fox and I were in our LDR, we learned how to be together while being apart. He called me every day before bed, which was the end of my work day since we were 6 hours apart. I called him for a short chat during my quick commute to work in the morning. We Skyped on the weekends.

It was tough to be far apart and unable to share normal couple things like going to the movies, cooking dinner together, laughing about the weird thing you saw in the street while walking together. We had none of that. What really saved us is that we both love. to. talk. Love it! We talked about any and everything. We learned so much about each other as people. Whenever we disagreed we really had to talk it out. There was no way to cuddle and kiss and forget the anger. Being long distance made our relationship stronger.

But honestly, his load of vacation days, motivation to travel, and great money saving skills really helped us go the distance (in more than one way). We made the sacrifice to spend every vacation together, even though my significantly smaller load of vacation days meant that I worked at least half the time he was with me. He spent plenty of time practicing his "house husband" skills in my Central New Jersey apartment. Not exactly an ideal vacation, but he was there for me, and that's all that mattered to him.

New Jersey. That's us in the Central part. Source.
I learned that it really matters to be on the same page if you cannot be in at least the same state. I learned mobile phone companies offer discounted international calling rates. I learned that reporting daily activities, no matter how mundane, really makes a difference. I learned how to love without touch. I learned patience is the most important LDR must have.

Do you have a LDR love story? What did you learn was most important?

1 comment:

  1. Interesting post. I Have Been wondering about this issue, so thanks for posting. Pretty cool post.It 's really very nice and Useful post.Thanks
    First date

    ReplyDelete