Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Must Have A System of Organization

A wedding is a project by definition. It has a specific outcome. It has definite start and end points. It is temporary. It can be broken up into smaller tasks and deliverables. All the things that a Project Management Institute project is required to have in order to be a project.

The Project Manager's Bible.
I study Project Management. I'm halfway through a Masters program in Project Management. So I should be organized. Yup. Operative word: should.

My work area is usually a system of piles. I know what goes in each pile and why. I have no trouble finding what I need to find unless I've actually tried to be conventionally organized and put it away in a filing cabinet or something. So of course, I think I'm organized.

Enter wedding planning.

I knew from the start that I should simply treat the whole wedding planning thing as a simple project, no different from anything I've studied or completed at work. But I have the hardest time trying to fit this thing into that rigid project box because I am emotionally involved. So I freak out sometimes. There's no room in project management for freaking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment